24's Heritage Award Nomination + Sutherland's Interview + Did it change the world or was it just great TV?

24 Nominated for Heritage Award by Television Critics Choice Association

Television Critics Association Awards are presented each summer during the TCA press tour. (This year's ceremony will be on July 31.)

Heritage award:
24
M*A*S*H
Law & Order
Lost
Twin Peaks

Since it was created, this award (which "recognizes a program whose content has had a positive impact on society and popular culture beyond the boundaries of TV") has tended to go to a long-running series that just ended its run.

ΥΓ: Αν ισχύει αυτό το τελευταίο, λογικά το βραβείο θα πάει στο Lost επειδή είναι πιο δημοφιλής σειρά...

Πηγή: 24JackBauer4ever

Kiefer Sutherland's Interview

"The final countdown: After 13,628 dead and nine years of playing TV's most brutal hero, Kiefer Sutherland says goodbye to 24

So, after nine years and seven best actor nominations, it is time for Kiefer Sutherland to hang up his bullet-proof vest. His cult TV drama series “24” is finally over.

The last few seconds have ticked away on the on-screen clock, and super-agent Jack Bauer is to go out in a blaze of glory.

Total body count in eight series: 13,628, ***SPOILER***including 12,000 in the California town of Valencia, wiped out by a nuclear bomb in a suitcase.***SPOILER*** Bauer's personal kill count: 266.

The number of times he's saved the civilised world: infinite. The number of prestigious Emmy awards the show has been nominated for: 68.

'It has been the most incredible ride,' says Sutherland. 'I came into it after some personal problems and some films that didn't go down too well. I had thought my career was over and when I was offered the part of Jack Bauer, I had no idea then where it would lead,' he laughs.

'But when “24” became a hit, people started saying things about me like "comeback" and "resurrected". Maybe that's true - all I know is that I was given a great opportunity at the time I needed it most.'"

"'Yes, I'm in denial,' he admits. 'I can't believe it is over, but it is and even if I'm now typecast as Jack Bauer and I can never work again, I'll never regret it."

"'It turned out to be the most incredible opportunity. But even now, unless there's a problem, I can't watch myself on screen.

'I always feel I come up short, could have done it better, should have tried harder, should have let it be.

'It's a confidence thing. My mother is funny, I'd get these calls from her saying: "Hi, honey, I just couldn' t watch it." And I'd say: "Me too.'' But Dad's a great fan of the show and unbelievably supportive of me.

'He and I both understand you don't get an opportunity like this - it puts you in 0.1 per cent of actors to have regular work like this. Even if I am now type cast , I wouldn't have changed a thing.'

'When I started working, there were five major film studios, each making 50 or so movies a year, a new one for every week. Now there are three making less than 13.

'The reality of working 14 hours a day, five days a week for ten months of the year for nine years gave me confidence. I'll credit “24” with this for the rest of my life.'

Did it change the world or was it just great TV?

Does Barack Obama have “24” to thank for being America's first black president?

After all, the series' first president was David Palmer, an African-American, so perhaps the character of Palmer made such a concept less outlandish than it might have appeared before.

Did “24” help legitimise questionable interrogation techniques, such as water-boarding, for the U.S. secret services?

DENNIS HAYSBERT as David Palmerbarack Obama

Did President David Palmer in “24” (left) pave the way for Barack Obama to become President of the United States?

Certainly, Jack Bauer was very much a punch-first-ask-questions-later kinda guy.

Did “24”'s rampant suspicion of government prefigure the rise of the anti-government Tea Party in the U.S.? It would be foolish to discount such a possibility.

These may seem like odd questions to ask of a TV programme but, in the U.S. and Britain, “24” was gulped down like lemonade on a sunny day by those most elusive viewers, middle-class forty-something dads, a group of people who can make a difference for good or bad.

Perhaps, however, I'm guilty of over-thinking things. Perhaps “24” was just bloody good television.

Though conceived before the terrible events of September 11, 2001, “24” tapped into the paranoia of the new age of global terrorism.

Yet it approached this with such panache that the show's cultural footprint is probably overshadowed by just how exciting the shebang was.

The brilliant use of real-time - represented by the now iconic digital clock tick-ticking away on the screen - as a driver for the narrative was genius.

Bauer, too, was a terrific construct. He may well have displayed an often worrying tendency to enjoy torturing suspects, but he was also a family man.

Bauer was no robotic killing machine.

He just did whatever he thought was necessary to protect his country and his loved ones.

We'll miss him. Until the inevitable movie version, of course.

Για ολόκληρη τη συνέντευξη-άρθρο: DailyMail